Johanna Carrane, President of JuryScope, has extensive trial consulting experience with expertise in complex litigation. Her experience covers both state and federal court in venues across the country. Having been retained on hundreds of cases, her consulting experience includes using juror and judge mock trials and focus groups to delve into the key issues in a case. Ms. Carrane’s work in opening statement analysis, theme development, and research design has proven invaluable for our clients in preparation for jury trials and bench trials alike.
Ms. Carrane has prepared hundreds of witnesses foreign and domestic, lay and expert, from all backgrounds and levels of expertise. Her assistance with witnesses allows the trial team to focus on the content of the examination while preparing the best face of that witness and ensuring their testimony supports the message to the jury.
Ms. Carrane has also assisted developing juror questionnaires, preparing judge and attorney jury voir dire questions and, providing in-court assistance in jury selection. She has extensive experience developing the protocol for and conducting post-trial juror interviews where permitted.
- Intellectual Property
- Product Liability
- Class Actions
- Insurance Coverage
- Commercial Litigation
- Employer Liability
- Criminal Matters
The list below provides representative matters for which Ms. Carrane has been retained. As most work is barred from discussion by protective order and confidentiality requirements, these matters are listed with permission from the trial team:
- Versata Software v. SAP (Patent – Marshall (EDTX), TX)
- Case IH v. Kinze Mfg. (Patent – Wilmington, DE)
- DTB v. ATP (Antitrust – Wilmington, DE)
- O2 Micro v. MPS (Patent – Oakland, CA)
- IO v. Sercel (Patent – Texarkana (EDTX), TX)
- W.L. Gore v. C.R. Bard (Patent – Wilmington, DE)
- Compuware v. IBM (Patent – Detroit, MI)
- State of Utah v. Workman (White Collar Crime – Salt Lake City, UT)
- Edminston v. Diversitech General, et al. (Asbestos – San Francisco, CA)
- Active Video v. Verizon (Patent – Norfolk, VA)
- United States of America v. Dr. Louis Tomasetta and Eugene Hovanec (Criminal – New York, NY)
- Unsworth v. Musk (Defamation – Los Angeles, CA)
Beyond specific case retention, Ms. Carrane has lectured and served as a panel member on a wealth of topics related to trial consulting. Ms. Carrane earned her J.D. from the University of Minnesota Law School and graduated magna cum laude from Washington University. She is a non-practicing member of the State Bar of California and the State Bar of Minnesota. Ms. Carrane is based in Minnesota.